PeeJaY

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How to Update LG Optimus One P500 from Android 2.2 Froyo to 2.3 Gingerbread

Finally I did it.

I updated my Optimus one from Froyo to Gingerbread.

I was very skeptical about doing it myself. But because of the poor LG service network in Bangalore, I had not choice left.

DISCLAIMER
Please do the following steps at your own risk. I don't take responsibility for any data loss or device problems. I am just sharing my experience.

So ready for it???

Here are the steps...
1. Go here to get the User manual, PC suite, USB drivers and Update software.
2. Install USB drivers and the PC suite.
3. Backup your Phone book, Messages, Memos, Calendar. (BTW, update did not delete them for me, but just in case something goes wrong, backup is always good.)
4. PC suite was not able to connect to my phone. So I backed up contacts manually and used couple of apps backup other stuff like me Messages(SMS).
5. Unmount SD card. Shut down phone. Remove sim and put back the battery back.
6. Fire on the Update software and follow the instructions there.
    - First I was trying to do this in my office network. I was not even able to download the update software.
    - Even after I got the update software from somewhere, it was not opening up in my office network.
    - But when I tried in my home network it worked like a charm.
    - Apparently they have blocked lg download services in my office.
7. Anyways, I was getting "Software update not supported for this model". Apparently I had not followed step 5 by heart and only unmounted the SD card. Problem was solved when I Switched off the phone and removed the SIM and fired up the Update Software again.
8. On my 256kbps meager connection software download took 35 mins and update finished by 41 mins mark.
9. Starting the phone took almost 5 mins which got me worried. I was stuck at startup "android" screen but when I saw much familiar wallpaper of me and my wife I was relieved.
10. All the Contacts, SMS, calendar and Memos were intact. One of my colleagues had already told me about this, so this was not a surprise.
11. Dictionary and OI File manager was missing, as I was told earlier by one of my friends. OI File manager apk was already present in my bundled apps provided by LG.


Please leave comments if you have questions.
Happy Updating.

I would love to hear what was your experience and your favorite features of 2.3 Gingerbread on LG Optimus One.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home